discuss: Wikipedia articles on the LDP

Subject: Re: Wikipedia articles on the LDP
From: David Lawyer ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jan 2002 07:04:30 -0000

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 09:22:23AM -0500, David Merrill wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 03:00:50AM -0800, David Lawyer wrote:
> > > On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 10:10:34PM -0500, David Merrill wrote:

> > On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 03:31:30AM -0500, David Merrill wrote:
> > > and my code resolves those to be links to the correct urls. Now what
> > > I'm going to do with the Wikipedia articles is first select a set of
> > > what I consider to be good articles for the LDP, and then do an
> > > automatic update that looks at all of our WikiText documents, sees
> > > which Wikipedia articles they link to, and mirrors them. All nice and
> > > automagic, the way I like things.
> >
> > If there are a lot of links, and you follow the links recursively then
> > you may wind up with a very large number of files, many of which could
> > be of poor quality.
>
> What do you mean by "you follow the links"? You mean the reader
> follows the links?

You were going to read the links and then copy the target of each link to
LDP (mirror them).  But what if what you copy also has links in it?  Will you
mirror those too?  And so on recursively.  Since you seem to be
restriction the mirroring to Wikipedia I guess it will not be too much
stuff.

> The quality issue seems, like anything else involved in writing a
> HOWTO, at the discretion of the author. S/he shouldn't link to poor
> quality articles.
>
> > This is off topic, but related.  The xml LDP database has all the
> > defects of docbook :-).  I suppose one may claim that since it's not
> > edited directly, that it doesn't matter.  But even if it's not edited
> > directly, it could be a lot shorter if it used short tags (and no end
> > tags) like linuxdoc-sgml.  There are a number of other databases but I'm
> > not familiar with them.  Would any of them be better (assuming that we
> > were not already into xml for our db)?
>
> Huh? The database is a Postgresql back-end with a perl cgi interface.
> There's no xml in it at all. I must misunderstand you.

Sorry, but I was mistaken.  I looked at the link: "Downloadable LDP
XML".  Here's the start of it.  I somehow erroneously thought that the
database (or at least part of it) was xml.

<ldp>
<resource id='1'>
  <creator> (Dave Jarvis)</creator>
  <title>3D Graphics Modelling and Rendering mini-HOWTO</title>
  <date>2001-03-26</date>
  <versionGroup>
    <version>
      <id>1.1</id>