discuss: [Proposal] PXE Server HOWTO

Subject: Re: [Proposal] PXE Server HOWTO
From: "Keith Strachan" ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jan 2002 00:23:25 -0000

Folks,

Let me get out the first draft of the Howto.  I'm still attacking it with
vigour, and have found that using epcedit is actually quite nice.  Now,  I'm
doing it in book format so it can have additions added to it later on down
the track.
But, first things first,  I'll cover PXE to start off with.... then lets ALL
look at what we can merge into it later.
I've added a Glossary so as to explain terms and terminology etc... that
should be able to help out those who aren't sure of what PXE means, or RTFM
etc etc :)

I'm not biased, there are fans of PXE, there are fans of etherboot and
whatever else exists, but what I'd like to end up with down the track, is a
document/book that incorporates everything that one could need to provide
"Network Boot Services", whether it be basic PXE, etherboot, LTSP etc etc,
they all have their function, they all are valid, and the existing
documentation is far too (no offence intended) disorganised. Ideally, there
should be one document/book that covers as much as possible regarding the
topic... and I do foresee that my initial document will get a name change
down the track.... possibly to "Network Boot Services HOWTO" I don't know.

Some of you may say that having one document covering all could be confusing
to the reader... well, that could be the case, that was how everything was
to me initially as well, but given time and a lot of fiddling around, people
do get the idea.

regarding the suggestion of a separate list for this topic.... no need
unless someone volunteers to set one up...but I don't honestly see the need.
I'd like to, but my isp prohibits use of servers behind cable connections :/
(even tho there's one there, it's in hiding:-) )

Please don't think that I'm not appreciative, I'm quite intrigued by the
amount of people and info that is flowing courtesy of my initial post to
start a new howto.  It's quite grand.

Thanks, and keep it coming

Keith Strachan