discuss: [Proposal] PXE Server HOWTO

Subject: Re: [Proposal] PXE Server HOWTO
From: Nicolas Chauvat ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jan 2002 15:57:04 -0000

> Nicolas,
>
> Thanks for pointing that out!  I didn't have that one bookmarked...
> Just goes to show how many of these similar and overlapping HOWTOs there
> are!  As it says in the Network-boot-HOWTO:
>
> 	"Eventually this document may end up deprecating the
> 	Diskless-HOWTO and Diskless-root-NFS-HOWTO."
>
> Perhaps, as Nicolas says, the authors should get together and work on
> consolidating.  Putting myself in the position of the user, I think it
> would be easier to find what I wanted if these very relevant topics were
> all just subsections of the same HOWTO.  I remember Jim McQuillan of

We made the document available under the proper license for others to
contribute. Brieuc (the main author) and I do not have much time to
improve it, but if someone is willing to...

A lot of precise information is also available from the etherboot, netboot
and ltsp projects.

One of the goals of the network-boot-HOWTO was to give a clear picture of
the whole thing, as it is hard at first to find ones way in the ocean of
acronyms, cryptic utility names and often-heard names : PXE, netboot, NFS,
grub, lilo, mknbi, kernel, boot-loader, bios, linuxbios, dhcp, bootp,
ip... what's what ?

--
Nicolas Chauvat

http://www.logilab.com - "Mais où est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris (France)