discuss: [Proposal] PXE Server HOWTO

Subject: Re: [Proposal] PXE Server HOWTO
From: Jason Bechtel ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jan 2002 15:45:57 -0000

Nicolas,

Thanks for pointing that out!  I didn't have that one bookmarked...
Just goes to show how many of these similar and overlapping HOWTOs there
are!  As it says in the Network-boot-HOWTO:

	"Eventually this document may end up deprecating the
	Diskless-HOWTO and Diskless-root-NFS-HOWTO."

Perhaps, as Nicolas says, the authors should get together and work on
consolidating.  Putting myself in the position of the user, I think it
would be easier to find what I wanted if these very relevant topics were
all just subsections of the same HOWTO.  I remember Jim McQuillan of
LTSP telling me that when he put LTSP together for the first time that
all of the documentation was there, it was just scattered in various
different locations.  This Network-boot-HOWTO seems to address this by
collecting information from these separate documents and assembling it
logically.

Or is it better to have the information represented redundantly in the
many HOWTOs each devoted to their niche subject as well as in the mega
Network-boot-HOWTO?  As long as there are authors willing to keep each
doc up to date, it shouldn't be a problem.  Still, it seems like a waste
of effort.

Am I asking the age-old questions of the LDP or is this still something
worth discussing?  Sorry for my pathetic newbieness...

Jason