discuss: [Proposal] PXE Server HOWTO

Subject: [Proposal] PXE Server HOWTO
From: "Keith Strachan" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jan 2002 18:35:13 -0000

Hi All,

I'm in the process of writing a new HOWTO that explains the intricacies of
using PXE and how to actually get it to work.  After spending weeks
searching the net, reading through various other howto's, not one explained
how it hangs together, what makes it work as a default mechanism, most were
tailored around a specific product or group of products, and even some of
those, were not exactly "functional".

None covered emerging technologies such as support for IA64 architecture
hardware, let alone covered the various types of servers available from
other vendors.

I'm currently about a fifth of the way through writing this in DocBook.sgml
book format, as article format didn't quite suit my needs, and apologies to
the guys at LDP, but unless you guys can come up with a template for use
that is a little more explanatory, and a little easier to use.... or someone
write an application that can simplify doing documentation (there are a lot
of people out there that would like to write doco, but the tools are
extremely lacking). Sitting down writing code to write a document is not
exactly what I enjoy when all I want to do is write doco. :)

anyway, back to my original subject, my PXE Server HOWTO... any comments,
suggestions would be appreciated.... should I continue ?? :)

regards

Keith Strachan
Strachan IT Consulting
Australia