discuss: Linux documentation wiki

Subject: Re: Linux documentation wiki
From: John Tapsell ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jan 2002 13:59:51 -0000

> > My document (Bootdisk-HOWTO) contains lots of instructions, some of
> > which are fairly detailed and depend on each other.  I take
> > responsibility for whether they work, and I often get
> > questions/comments/complaints on them. Whenever I make a substantial
> > change, I run through the instructions carefully to make sure
> > everything still works.  I'd welcome a co-author who
> > was equally diligent, but allowing people to make arbitrary
> > changes sounds like a bad idea; I'm the one who gets the mail and
> > has to figure out what's wrong.  Even so-called "registered users"
> > wouldn't necessarily have the same responsibility.  Think of HOWTOs
> > as source code and you'll understand why authors would be wary of
> > changes.

Hmm, my document (Masquerading howto) doesn't really have that many
instructions, but I wouldn't really want people changing them etc.

However, i want people to have the chance to, and if they do, to see their
changes.  If I don't like them, I'll undo the changes, hopefully somehow with
a reason, or mailing the person who made the changes.

Anyway, enough with this talk, I'll wait till it happens, and see how it
works.

Personally I think nobody will ever change anything anyway *grin*

JohnFlux