discuss: Linux documentation wiki

Subject: Re: Linux documentation wiki
From: John Tapsell ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jan 2002 13:52:30 -0000

> I think that for most docs, more improvement could be made per hour of
> the author's time by means other than using wikis.  To present the above
> choices will pose a significant burden on most authors since you will
> also need to accompany it by a document discussing the pros and cons of
> each choice.  Almost all authors are not following this discussion and
> would not really have strong opinions on which choice to select.
>
> So many authors may select an option and then be disappointed with it.
> If so, they will blame LDP for it.  The good-will of the authors is of
> paramount importance.  I know of one person who wrote a HOWTO but will
> not submit it to LDP due to his poor opinion of us.

Oh come on.  Authors aren't that dumb - They try out wiki if they like it,
and if they find they don't like it, they pull it from the wiki.
And as for that person not submitting a howto to the community because he
doesn't like the people in charge - well thats just sad.
Thats like not using the gpl because you dislike rms, or something.

> If an author picks option 2, nothing may happen to the doc.  If option
> 3, poor changes may anger the author.
Well... duh - poor author, again, I really hope people aren't this dumb.

I hate sounding elitest, because well damnit I just can't believe people are
like that.

Ah, I'm gonna go have a hot bath.
:)

JohnFlux

> I don't understand.  If someone edits your wiki, you need to know about
> it right away.  Notification by email seems logical.  Of course
> reviewing edits made by others adds to the maintainers workload.

On this thought, I had an idea - we could submit the changes to this list
(assuming a low number of changes)