discuss: Quick Reference Topics/Guidlines

Subject: Re: Quick Reference Topics/Guidlines
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 21 Feb 2001 12:27:49 -0000

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 04:48:43AM +0100, ####@####.#### wrote:
> The only problem here is that manpages cover this ground quite good
> as do texinfo and 'command --help'.
>
> OK some have insufficient documentation but ... maybe we should make
> a manpage then and contribute it to the project

Up to a point, yes, you're right. But if you take a look at the quick
references we have onsite, you will see that they are different from
manpages. They collect, on a single poge, a list of the commands you
would want. One of them has a list of websites for more info, for
example.

You are right that they are not completely original, but that doesn't
mean they aren't useful!

> On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 03:46:05PM -0500, ####@####.#### wrote:
> >
> > I like this idea.
> >
> > Arthur H. Johnson II
> > Systems Engineer
> > The Linux Box
> > ####@####.####
> > http://www.linuxbox.nu

> > > It would short. One to a few pages.
> > >
> > > It would be reference material - not tutorial material. List of
> > > commands and their options, etc., not an explanation of what they are,
> > > how they work, and how to use them. Memory aids, iow, for when you
> > > can't remember whether -r or -R is recursive.
> > >
> > > Look at the two we already mentioned - I think they're good examples
> > > of the format.
> > >
> > > If you would look at it and say that "Quick Reference" described it
> > > accurately, it's probably right.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Dr. David C. Merrill                     http://www.lupercalia.net
> > > Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
> > > Collection Editor & Coordinator            http://www.linuxdoc.org
> > >                                        Finger me for my public key
> > >
> > > Democracy is a form of government that substitutes election by the
> > > incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few.
> > > 		-- G.B. Shaw
> > >
> > > _________________________
> > > http://list.linuxdoc.org/

> > http://list.linuxdoc.org/
> >
> ---end quoted text---

> http://list.linuxdoc.org/

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

Anyone who has had a bull by the tail knows five or six more things
than someone who hasn't.
		-- Mark Twain