discuss: Linux documentation wiki

Subject: Re: Linux documentation wiki
From: Tom Fawcett ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jan 2002 04:47:31 -0000

John Tapsell ####@####.#### wrote:
> >> 1. the author only edits it, basically as things work now
> ..
> > I am likely to stick to 1. for a while to see how things go.
>
> Just out of curioristy - how come?  I know it's personal preference etc, but
> just curious why you object to a wiki version?

I'll give an answer to this since I think I'd take the same approach.

My document (Bootdisk-HOWTO) contains lots of instructions, some of which
are fairly detailed and depend on each other.  I take responsibility for
whether they work, and I often get questions/comments/complaints on them.
Whenever I make a substantial change, I run through the instructions
carefully to make sure everything still works.  I'd welcome a co-author who
was equally diligent, but allowing people to make arbitrary changes sounds
like a bad idea; I'm the one who gets the mail and has to figure out
what's wrong.  Even so-called "registered users" wouldn't necessarily have
the same responsibility.  Think of HOWTOs as source code and you'll
understand why authors would be wary of changes.

Having said that, I still think wikis are a cool idea and I'd like to see
how well they work for our docs.

Regards,
-Tom