discuss: Linux documentation wiki

Subject: Re: Linux documentation wiki
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jan 2002 00:54:57 -0000

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 10:16:13AM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 09:14:13AM -0500, David Merrill wrote:

[snippage throughout, this is getting long]

> > Also, the choice as I propose it is fourfold:
> >
> > 1. the author only edits it, basically as things work now
> > 2. registered users of the LDP database can also edit it
> > 3. promiscuous editing by anyone
> > 4. editing by selected registered users only (two authors or three,
> >    perhaps all those already maintaining the howto)
>
> I take it these options are available on a per-document basis. If so,
> I can support this set of choices. I am likely to stick to 1. for a
> while to see how things go.

Yes, on a per-document basis. And possibly not all options will go
online right away, depending on how the implementation bits go.

> > Wikis usually provide a "view other revisions" capability, along with
> > a "diff between revision" function. We could provide those, as well as
> > a "view the cvs version" and "view diff with cvs" function.
>
> Ah, in that case, I think making those options obvious to wiki users
> would at least put the burden on the user to know what is going on
> here. Perhaps a prefatory essay explaining the problem and that they
> have to deal with it would help.

Yes, it will have to be clear and understandable. I will do my best,
and of course will appreciate feedback if it isn't.

> > > Another question: Does adding the wiki add to maintainers' work load?
> > > Are they now required to check the wiki from time to time for new
> > > input, or can the wiki be set up to email the maintainer when edits
> > > are made.
> >
> > No, no, no. Never. Unless we can come up with a really easy way to
> > manage the "drift" we should ask the author to use the wiki only if he
> > does so exclusively.
>
> OK, I can support that as well.

It actually now becomes incumbent on me to make it *easier* to the
work load, to give people an incentive to use it!

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

It's fair to say that the Internet promise has become the newest market in
our economy, and access should not be controlled by any one company.
Microsoft currently enjoys a monopoly that controls more than 90 percent of
the desktop computer today.
	--Retired US Senator & former presidential candidate Robert Dole