discuss: Linux documentation wiki

Subject: Re: Linux documentation wiki
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jan 2002 14:35:29 -0000

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:11:39AM -0800, Boxcar Poet wrote:
> > From: John Tapsell ####@####.####
> >
> > Using a wiki would be very useful on the main LDP site for people to
> > update/edit the howto's.
> >
> > I haven't seen this discussed - thoughts?
>
> I've seen this idea discussed before on other mailing lists... my reply
> is the same: "Heck NO!"
>
> Could you imagine what would happen if programmers did this? Grant CVS
> access to any joker who asked? Who blindly applied code patches without
> looking at them? You'd have bug-riddled, security-comprised,
> uncompilable code in no time flat. (Also consider the potential
> problems in the current legal environment with trade secrets,
> copyright, and software patents.)

[snip]

All your concerns are valid and are potential problems. However,
real-world experience has demonstrated that they are all avoidable
if the thing is set up right.

My favorite example is still Wikipedia.com. Take a look at it and you
will find none of those problems.

Wikipedia, btw, is willing to let us use *their* system, right on
their site. They have 200+ people editing every day. They post over
200 NEW articles every single day. There are a couple of dozen people
watching the Recent Changes log in real time, and many of them are
Linux users. Including a couple of kernel hackers.

Vandalism does occur there. It lasts 5-10 minutes before it is cleaned
up. It just works, demonstrably. The solution to avoiding these
potential pitfalls is having a large and active body of people
watching what's going on.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

You have read that Muad'Dib had no playmates his own age on Caladan. The
danger were too great. But Muad'Dib did have wonderful companion-teachers.
There was Gurney Halleck, the troubador-warrior. You will sing some of
Gurney's songs as you read along in this book. There was Thufir Hawat, the
old Mentat Master of Assassins, who struck fear even into the heart of the
Padishah Emperor. There were Duncan Idaho, the Swordmaster of the Ginaz;
Dr. Wellington Yueh, a name black in treachery but bright in knowledge;
the lady Jessica, who guided her son in the Bene Gesserit Way, and --
of course -- the Duke Leto, whose qualities as a father have long been
overlooked.
		-- from "A Child's History of Muad'Dib"
		by the Princess Irulan