discuss: Linux documentation wiki

Subject: Re: Linux documentation wiki
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 13 Jan 2002 08:06:41 -0000

this "wiki" discussion turns to "wiki versus cvs"

I think wiki and cvs are two completely different beasts.

cvs needs an account and/or special configurations. I once try to look at it
ans never had time to understand...

wiki can be used at once by anybody.

however it would be ridiculous to make directly a HOWTO from a wiki. Anyboby
can not only add but also delete from a wiki page and thus no essential text
can be hold there.

BUT I think it should be VERY interesting to have a wiki page for any HOWTO
(if accepted by the maintainer) to hold a todo/bug list.

effectively understand my point. suppose I find a bug in a HOWTO. How old is
my HOWTO version? is this bug already known by the maintainer? before writing
and spending maybe long hours to comment the bug, I ought to get a look a the
HOWTO wiki to see if this has already been done.

a wiki log could also show if the maintainer is still alive :-)

of course wiki is only one of many kind of communication methods.

is it costy to use?

if someboby want it, why don't do it?

thanks
jdd