discuss: cvs tree, development plans (LONG)

Subject: Re: cvs tree, development plans (LONG)
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 26 Dec 2001 22:05:06 -0000

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 12:38:10PM +0100, Nicolas Chauvat wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> > I need help to get all of this done well. I need volunteers. Of
> > course I would love to have help actually writing xslt, perl or
> > python, but the biggest need is for people to do basic administration
>
> I could help a bit with python, xml and xslt. Just let me know what you
> need.
>
> Happy holidays to all !

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Right now I'm just playing to see what is possible. Over the past year
I've been working on infrastructure in various ways, trying to set up
the pieces necessary to do more than just publish. It seems there's
always another piece missing, of course, but most of it is now
available. We have:

database -> the interactive database intended as a front end to the
  system as a whole
docbook  -> omf (db2omf, thanks Ferg)
db2db    -> my own play script in python to parse docbook, not in cvs
  (either of these could be updated to write to the database)
omf.pl   -> writes an omf file from the database
xml.pl   -> writes an LDP xml (no formal DTD yet) file from database
  (LDP is an extension of OMF with additional fields such as "Active",
  "Archived", etc.)

The question now is how to tie them all together. Right now a lot more
experimenting needs to be done. We are not ready to make any real
change without careful planning and proof-by-implementation.

I've been looking at Norm Walsh's docbook-xml-website DTD, which is
quite cool but seems to be in flux. It was largely resdesigned for a
2.0 release (not out yet), but the cvs version doesn't even render its
own examples. So I'll have to find out what's going on there.

If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

Software evolves. It isn't designed. The only question is how strictly you
_control_ the evolution, and how open you are to external sources of
mutations.
		-- Linus Torvalds, lmkl