discuss: cvs tree, development plans (LONG)

Subject: cvs tree, development plans (LONG)
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 25 Dec 2001 02:23:36 -0000

This is an overview on what I'm doing in the toolsmithing arena. I
seem to be doing more toolsmithing than editing these days. Maybe I
should change my title to Toolsmith. I'm only half kidding.

I added LDP/README to cvs. It lists the directory tree and all of its
contents. In parsing through the tree, I ran across some issues I want
to address. First, here is the tree:

builder/	scripts and stylesheets to publish documents to the website
  db2omf/	perl script to extract omf directly from docbook documents
  dsssl/	the ldp sgml stylesheet
  ldp_print/	perl script to generate pdf output ldp html sources
  xsl/		ldp extensions to norm walsh's docbook xsl stylesheets
database/	the ldp database built on postgresql
  db2db/	python script to parse docbook dom and update database
  ldpwn/	perl script to generate the ldp weekly news
  tables/	sql scripts to create tables, views, permissions
  omf.pl	perl script to generate omf xml from database
  xml.pl	perl script to generate ldp xml from database
faq/		frequently asked questions
  docbook/	faqs in docbook format
  linuxdoc/	faqs in linuxdoc format
guide/		book-length documents
  docbook/	guides in docbook format
  linuxdoc/	guides in linuxdoc format
howto/		linux howtos
  docbook/	howtos in docbook format
    archived/	archived docbook documents
  linuxdoc/	howtos in linuxdoc format
    archived/	archived linuxdoc documents
ref/		quick references
scrollserver/	python web application server front end to scrollkeeper
  pub/		packaging script and packaged releases
  stylesheets/	xsl stylesheets for xml -> html conversion
  www/		www.scrollserver.org website
test/		use this to test or practice cvs without disturbing things
www/		websites
  db./		ldp database website
    cgi-bin/	perl scripts for the ldp database
    help/	help for the ldp database
  linuxdoc.org/	www.linuxdoc.org website
  list./	ldp mailing list archives website

Please correct anything not clear or accurate. Now for the questions.

One, I want to move the developer.linuxdoc.org tree to
db.linuxdoc.org, its actual final domain. As I understand cvs, you
can't do a rename, so I have to a cvs add db.linuxdoc.org, followed by
a cvs remove developer.linuxdoc.org. Is this right, or is there a
better way to do it?

Two, I put the scrollserver website under scrollserver/www, because it
is a pretty standalone project and not part of the LDP, per se. Its
status has never really been confirmed by the group, so in a way it's
my baby, but I certainly want it to be an LDP effort. I would welcome
help from anyone. In particular I would love to have someone make a
debian package out of it. Hint, hint. Or an rpm. Or daemonize it.
Those are important things to get done because it won't start getting
into distributions until it's properly packaged, and it won't ever be
a really good program until it gets into wide use and attracts
developers.

Three, there is no content in the linuxdoc.org directory. What was the
intended purpose of this directory?

I want to start gradually move the website to pull its data from the
database. I think I can do some really nice stuff with xslt and an xml
database extracted from the postgres one. Joshua did a great job on
the big redesign, and I don't want to minimize his work by any means.
I just want to expand on it. Doing a bit of a facelift would be a good
thing, just because it looks good to freshen things occasionally.

I need help to get all of this done well. I need volunteers. Of
course I would love to have help actually writing xslt, perl or
python, but the biggest need is for people to do basic administration
stuff. I am not a good administrator. I need someone to maintain the
topical organization of the documents, that's an immediate need. I
need someone to get the database's idea of documents in progress
merged with the website's listing. I basically need volunteers to take
over the management of the data *in* the database, so I can spend more
time working on infrastructure.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

What Microsoft is doing is patently illegal. Think about it. If you want to
build computers, you've got to ask Bill's permission. If Bill wanted to
triple the price on Windows, what would you do? You'd pay, you wouldn't
have any choice.
	--Oracle Corp Chairman Larry Ellison