discuss: Bare Metal Recovery HOWTO renamed, moved.

Subject: Re: Bare Metal Recovery HOWTO renamed, moved.
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 23 Dec 2001 09:17:08 -0000

Le Samedi 22 Décembre 2001 23:57, Charles Curley a écrit :
>I have renamed & moved the "Bare Metal Recovery HOWTO". It is now the
>"Linux Complete Backup and Recovery HOWTO", and you can find the
>latest version at
>http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley/Linux-Complete-Backup-and-Recovery-HOWTO.html.

I'm in the stage of studying backup and recovery for my work, so I got a look
to this HOWTO.

I think the new title is misleading. This HOWTO gives a set of scripts to
acheive a particular kind of backup & recovery. this kind is not good for
anybody and so the title is not so good.

I think the main problem of this HOWTO is that the goal of the scripts is not
so clear, that is I saw no discussion of what files will you backup (there is
such a title, but no answer) and this is essential.

problem I have with this text are:

*it makes the restoring to the exact same hard drive mandatory (restoring the
exact partition table), when it says it should be used in case of computer
destruction. If your computer is crashed and unusable you will _never_ be
able to find the same exact hard drive. If only the MBR is gone you can
restore it without all this mess and don't need to have a backup (i have a
howto just for that).

*it uses a zip drive to backup the most important data. I'm unshure of the
liability of the zip drive and more I'm unshure of the availability of the
zip drive if ever your computer is stolen (and the drive with it). But
anybody have a cd reader and so the backup should be done on cd.

*anyway I have a more than 1 gb home, I can't even save it to cd (jpeg and
pdf don't compress) in one file - I use tar incremental.

*When - time to time - I need to change my system (new hard drive, usually),
I use to upgrade my distribution, mostly because it's necessary to accomodate
new hardware.

*making a system backup is pretty easy using a separate partition or lan with
tar or partimage, this allow to start with a new system in a handfull of
minutes in case of accidental deletion (I use it with students).

* the question I think essential is so "what files may I backup to be able to
restore a running linux with the same operations (that is /home, /root, what
part of /etc, /usr/X11/etc?) but with different hardware and eventually
distribution...

sincerely
jdd

--