discuss: [ncm-nospam@cantrip.org: C++ Programming HOWTO]

Subject: Re: [ncm-nospam@cantrip.org: C++ Programming HOWTO]
From: ####@####.####
Date: 22 Dec 2001 20:13:41 -0000

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, David Merrill wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 12:29:49PM -0600, Bill Lee wrote:
> > Is the LINUX DOCUMENTATION PROJECT even the appropriate place for a discussion
> > of a programming language? Sure, installation problems. Sure, issues within the
> > language that are Linux-specific. But a HOWTO on C++???? I don't think so. Good
> > grief! There must be a thousand different C++ how-to books on the market, some
> > very good, some rotten. Why should there be yet another here?
> >
> > Not to mention that there are a FEW of us out here that may think what Alavoor
> > has written may be right. :-) But it (or any other language-centric discussion)
> > doesn't seem to be appropriate here.
>
> Our policy is to publish anything useful to people who run Linux,
> including the use of applications that run on Linux. Programming on
> Linux certainly fits that requirement.

IM(NSH)O: The Howto should cover Linux specific issues or related issues.
Coding styles for C++ seems too far fetched to match such a definition.

Hugo.

PS: I can't judge the accuracy of what is written about C++ coding beyond
a very general idea of what is relevant to Linux and what isn't.

--
All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
    ####@####.####		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/