discuss: New maintainer for "Software-Building HOWTO" needed

Subject: Re: New maintainer for "Software-Building HOWTO" needed
From: "M. Leo Cooper" ####@####.####
Date: 19 Dec 2001 20:48:31 -0000

On 18 Dec 2001, Steve Hyatt wrote:

> I would be very interested in taking over responsibility for this.  I am
> a professional software developer, currently working under Linux and
> think that I can offer a lot for this HOWTO.

Steve, thanks for volunteering to do this. I would be honored to have
you take over the HOWTO.

When I first started the document, over four years ago, there was
a pressing need for it, as Linux was lacking in apps, and there was
considerable interest in porting generic UNIX programs to Linux. Now
things have changed, and developers release their work on Linux at
least as often as on the other flavors of UNIX. Still, there are many
legacy UNIX packages laying around in tarballs that Linux users need
help in porting.

A couple of the areas in the HOWTO that probably need expanding are the
section on Makefiles and modifying them, and the information dealing with
"configure" scripts. I imagine you would be more competent at doing this
than I could have been.

I guess the only thing I would ask is that my name stay in the document
somewhere as the originator of it. I'm not expeciting top billing, though <g>.

Again, thanks.

Mendel