discuss: Introductions.

Subject: Re: Introductions.
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 20 Feb 2001 17:43:36 -0000

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 12:33:25PM -0500, Padala, Pradeep wrote:
> Okay, I started doing it.. I am preparing a table like this(see the attached
> html file. the html is not perfect see in IE). This is what you want?? I
> don't want to waste time later to find out that some thing else also is
> needed.

Please stick to plain text, because I'm not exactly sure right now
what I'll be doing with it but it might go into .omf files, and/or a
database, and/or a spreadsheet. Html is just not as portable. Also,
your data will be combined with others. Otherwise, it looks good.

> And since this is an arduous task to do by hand may be in future we can add
> some meta tag and make it as a requirement for the authors to put their
> information. We might be able to use a script to get this information then.

We will probably never succeed in requiring this from authors. We have
no power to require anything from authors. Many HOWTOs were and are
written outside the LDP and then contributed, or I sometimes ask folks
who have written something if they will submit it.

However, we do encourage authors to follow various recommendations
which are documented in the LAG. Over time, those recommendations are
integrated into the HOWTOs. So iow we can influence, cajole, and beg -
but we can't require.

> For now i am preparing the list as my time permits.

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Thanks!

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

One-Shot Case Study, n.:
	The scientific equivalent of the four-leaf clover, from which it is
	concluded all clovers possess four leaves and are sometimes green.