discuss: Licenses not free. Debian. (was Re: Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Licenses not free. Debian. (was Re: Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 9 Dec 2001 04:39:34 -0000

[snipped explanation of licenses and their history]

Thanks for helping with this, David, you know more about these than I
do.

Colin, I propose you work right in the database and assign the proper
license to each document, and we will help with that. I will add new
licenses for each of these.

I retitled all the existing LDPL license entries as "OLDLDPL" so we
know we have to go through them all. They should be assigned one of:

LDPL		if they contain or point to the existing /COPYRIGHT.html,
		which is free.
LDPCL		for the LDP Copying License in LDP-COPYRIGHT.html
HOWTOL		if they copied the HOWTO-INDEX license
BOILERPLATE	if they copied the manifesto boilerplate.

David, have I covered all the bases? Before we begin? ;-)

I created a "help" page for licenses in the database. David, please
take a look at it. I used your email; I didn't think you'd mind.

Please send me anything that needs to change in it so I can update it.
Feel free to wget it and send me a modified version.

Ideally it should have an excerpt from each license, so I can open
that page in another browser window and use it as I work in the
database.

Thanks again for your help!

David

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

Microsoft is banking on Windows 2000 to be a Trojan Horse - they want to get
this into companies and then start exploiting inter-relationships with the
product. But I always say: beware of geeks bearing gifts.
	--Michael Gartenberg, Gartner Group Vice President.