discuss: Licenses not free. Debian. (was Re: Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Licenses not free. Debian. (was Re: Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO
From: Colin Watson ####@####.####
Date: 8 Dec 2001 11:31:14 -0000

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 04:44:01PM -0800, David Lawyer wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 02:39:14PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:

> Now there is also an older "Linux Documentation Project Copying License"
> found at:
> > http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP-COPYRIGHT.html, for instance.
>
> Only one HOWTO (TclTk-HOWTO) points to the above url (but about 10
> others have copied it into their HOWTOs).

I've also found some HOWTOs that point to URLs that redirect to the
above location, e.g. http://linuxdoc.org/copyright.html and others.

> > Incidentally, the story on Slashdot was a little misleading about how
> > urgent this is. Although the part of the archive containing the LDP
> > documents is in a slushy kind of freeze as of about two days from now,
> > it doesn't freeze solid until a month after that. I think there's
> > still plenty of time to clarify whatever needs clarifying.
>
> Another argument I would like to give is that "Debian Free Software
> Guidelines" perhaps doesn't govern documentation.  I can find no
> statement in it that it applies to documents.  Thus I suggest that it be
> temporarily interpreted as not applying to documents and then no
> separation by Debian of LDP docs into free and non-free is required.

You'll have to take this up with debian-legal, as it's beyond the scope
of what I can interpret as an individual maintainer. Shortly before this
debate arose in relation to the LDP, there was an extensive discussion
about whether and how the DFSG applies to documentation distributed in
main, and the clear consensus was that it does. In particular, our
policy on main says that "every package in main ... must comply with the
DFSG".

I understand why authors choose to restrict modification, and I
appreciate that Debian may differ from other organizations in what it
considers free here, but I suppose that would be nothing new. :)

--
Colin Watson                                  ####@####.####