discuss: Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 5 Dec 2001 05:26:59 -0000

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 03:23:37PM +1030, Glen Turner wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> LDPWN said:
> > New Maintainers Needed
>
> If the maintainership of the Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO
> becomes vacant I'd like to take it up.
>
> I've completely revised the HOWTO but are having trouble
> contacting the current maintainer (Mark F. Komarinski) to
> get his nod to apply my changes.  We mailed each other
> a few months ago but all my mail to all of his addresses
> listed on the LDP site have bounced.  I hope this is merely
> a technical glitch.

I believe he's changed jobs recently, but I don't know what is going
on with him otherwise. I also believe someone else reported the same
thing, unless that was you reporting twice.

> In the meantime I'm maintaining an unoffical HOWTO at
>   http://www.aarnet.edu.au/~gdt/serialconsole/

Okay.

Does anyone know what's up with Mark? For all I know he's been hit by
a bus or something.

Mark is a longtime LDP volunteer, so I am loathe to declare
the document unmaintained. But if we don't hear from him, at some
point I'll have to do that.

If someone else with the LDP takes a look at your work and tells me
it's significantly better than the old version, then after a couple of
weeks with no success contacting Mark, I think we should go ahead and
post it.

This document is under the LDPL version which permits derivative
works, so that is permissable.

Which brings up a question I have about the plethora of unmaintained
documents under this version of the LDPL. My reading of it says the
HOWTO coordinator has been granted the right to relicense the work. It
says, "you may not produce a derivative work from a HOWTO and impose
additional restrictions on its distribution. Exceptions to these rules
may be granted under certain conditions; please contact the HOWTO
coordinator". First, moving to GFDL is not imposing additional
restrictions, and second the HOWTO coordinator can make exceptions.

Do Ferg and Dave read it that way also? If so, I would like to use that
authority to relicense all the unmaintained LDPL documents under GFDL
or OPL to keep them in Debian. I don't really have a preference, since
they are substantially the same, but I'd rather stick with GFDL. It
allows merging documents, for instance, which we've done several
times, without license conflicts. Let's try to stick to it, but any
author who objects can of course do as they will. I'm not mandating
anything.

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

We all worship the black bean
Homage to our God Caffeine
Where there is life there is coffee
Where there is coffee there is life

Kenya, Sumatra, Mocha Java, French Roast, Colombian