discuss: Introductions.

Subject: Re: Introductions.
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 20 Feb 2001 16:04:12 -0000

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 10:10:37AM -0500, ####@####.#### wrote:

> For a long time now I have been looking for a way to give back to the
> community that basically feeds my family.  I am a systems engineer at a
> local Linux consulting firm in Ann Arbor Michigan.  I help write the
> courseware for our training courses and have been writing about Linux for
> the last two years.  My work can be found at Linux Today and
> news.tucows.com.  I feel my skills can best be exploited with this
> project since the howto's and guides are usually the first place I look
> when starting a new project.
>
> So where do I start.  I am working on learning SGML or XML (haven't
> decided yet which one) and am looking at old howto's and unmaintained
> howto's.  I also have some ideas for future howto's such as IPSEC.

Welcome!

There is plenty of work to do, always. No surprise there. :-)

You have several choices. There are unmaintained HOWTOs, there are
subjects we don't have covered, or don't have covered very well. There
are documents that need to be converted to docbook SGML or XML, and
there are administrative tasks.

I will take this opportunity to plug my pet project, which is
reviewing the documentation and identifying problems that need to be
corrected. If you want to do this, let me know and I'll send more
information. That goes for the whole list, btw.

We have posted some resources for volunteers on the website, so look
for those links on the left side of the home page. Read the LDP Author
Guide if you're going to work on any documents. You're on the list, so
you will see other projects going on and can volunteer for any of
them.

Tell us how you feel about these options and we'll help you get
started.

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian.
		-- Robert Orben

Immigration is the sincerest form of flattery.
		-- Jack Paar