discuss: Automatically building the HOWTOs

Subject: Re: Automatically building the HOWTOs
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 3 Dec 2001 22:42:04 -0000

Colin Watson wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 11:03:02PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
[snip]
>>In fact they're normally reserved for release-critical bug fixes only
>>(that is, security holes, uninstallable packages, completely broken
>>packages, and that sort of thing). Documentation is often an exception,
>>though, as after all it's unlikely to break anything.
>>
>>I'll see if I can find out if we're doing a 2.2r4 and propose an update.
>>

> I just got the Big No from our stable release manager (whose job it is
> to be conservative). Sorry ...

That was unfortunate. Since some documents are security-related
one might in the future argue the documentation can help plug
holes. I used to check how updated the documentation was in the
various mainstream distributions but workload is too high these
days.

Since the release is already done I would suggest adding a
link to the latest Debian unstable package of the documents
from the LDP download page. How often is this package updated?

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen