discuss: Looking for guidance/suggestions for possible large documentation project

Subject: Re: Looking for guidance/suggestions for possible large documentation project
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 3 Dec 2001 22:41:40 -0000

Justin Yackoski wrote:

> I'm interested in possibly creating a new howto of significant length
> for a possible college senior project.  I am a junior currently, so I
> have plenty of time to plan, and I would probably not start any
> significant work until at least June or sometimes this summer.  I have a

Have you considered taking up the SCSI-HOWTO? Last I checked
it was way out of date and as the SCSI FAQ is from 1998 there
is very little current documentation for SCSI. Doing this would
help users of all distributions. In fact if such an updated
HOWTO could superceede the antiquated Usenet FAQ it would
gain a large readership and even help people using other
operating systems.

Elsewhere in the thread you stated you wanted to make a self
contained document with few external references. I quite agree
with your view here; in fact many HOWTO readers do not have
full Internet access so external links (outside HOWTOs) would
in many cases be of limited use.

Reagrds,
    Stein Gjoen