discuss: FYI about IPtables HOWTO

Subject: Re: FYI about IPtables HOWTO
From: David Ranch ####@####.####
Date: 22 Nov 2001 20:51:48 -0000

 >I had assumed that the LDP version was up to date. Having seen the cover in
the
 >IP masq I'll rethink that. I apologise most sincerley for this oversight.

No worries.

 >Before I completely scrap the draft I have is there any call for explinaing
the
 >packet filtering side of things. I had actually started to major on this.
I've
 >looked at the Firewall-HOWTO and I can't see any links to updated versions (I

 >_shall_ not make the same mistake again!! :P).

Rusty's Netfilter HOWTOs briefly cover the packet flow for the
2.4.x kernels.

http://netfilter.samba.org/unreliable-guides/packet-filtering-HOWTO/packet-filtering-HOWTO.linuxdoc-6.html

Unfortunately, the description is quite brief and not complete
enough for new users.  My non-LDPed TrinityOS document also
covers the flow, dissecting a packet log, etc. in more detail
though I need to update it for the 2.4.x kernels (2.2.x and
2.4.x are different).

 >Any thoughts, if you're desperate there is a nowhere near
 >finished draft sitting in the LDP CVS if you want to read
 >it.

Hmmm.. URL maybe?  Do you feel that this information should
be in the IPMASQ howto or somewhere else?  Have you emailed
Rusty to see if he would add your changes to his doc?

Once upon a time, I was going to re-write Paul's NAT and
packet filter docs for Netfilter but that project really
didn't go terribly far.

--David
|  David A. Ranch - Linux/Networking/PC hardware         ####@####.####  |
`----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'