discuss: FYI about IPtables HOWTO

Subject: Re: FYI about IPtables HOWTO
From: Matt Wright ####@####.####
Date: 22 Nov 2001 07:07:15 -0000

Sorry,

I had assumed that the LDP version was up to date. Having seen the cover in the IP masq I'll rethink that. I apologise most sincerley for this oversight.

Before I completely scrap the draft I have is there any call for explinaing the packet filtering side of things. I had actually started to major on this. I've looked at the Firewall-HOWTO and I can't see any links to updated versions (I _shall_ not make the same mistake again!! :P).

Any thoughts, if you're desperate there is a nowhere near finished draft sitting in the LDP CVS if you want to read it.

Thoughts and comments please,

Matt

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 20:02:15 -0800
David Ranch ####@####.#### wrote:

> Hey Everyone,
>
>  >For the guys in charge, Greg and co, I'm working on a HOWTO for IPtables on
> how
>  >to packet filter and masq. I found that the IP Masq doesnt cover IPTables
>  >anything further than saying u can use ipchains.o for compatability. Also I
>  >wasn't inspired by Rusty's guides as a beginners path to firewalling and
> Masq.
>
> Actually, this isn't true what so ever.
>
> For a long time, the version of the IPMASQ howto on the LDP
> was very old (2.2/2.0).  But, the HOWTO mentions ALL over the
> place to check the Web for any newer versions.  If people
> went to my site or the official IPMASQ www site, they would
> have found a new BETA version that completely covered 2.4.x
> kernels and IPTABLES:
>
>    http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/index-linux.html#ipmasq
>
>    http://ipmasq.cjb.net
>

> Anyway, just this week, I upgraded the LDP's version to
> sync up with my RELEASE version (its no longer BETA).  This
> new HOWTO completely covers 2.4.x kernels, PROs/CONs of the
> new code, includes both testing 2.4.x rc.firewalls as well as
> a stronger IPTABLES ruleset.  I've done extensive testing
> and field trials with this HOWTO and everyone seems to be
> quite happy with it.
>
> So, though I agree with you that Rusty's IPTABLES documentation
> isn't the greatest, the IPMASQ HOWTO DOES cover IPTABLES
> nicely.  Now, is it a comprehensive IPTABLES document?
> Probably not but then again, I never said it was.  ;-)
>

>  >The draft should cover Masq'ing internal machines, Packet
>  >filtering, S/DNAT and some basic theory on tables/chains/rules.
>
> MASQing          - done
> Packet Filtering - done
> S/DNat (PORTFW)  - done
> theory / chains  - done
>
> Plus:
>    + kernel compiling
>    + IPTABLES compiling
>    + troubleshooting
>    + etc
>

>  >If anyone has a problem with me writing this then please speak now before
> I >have put otoo much tiem into it.
>
> If you feel that the IPMASQ howto doesn't cover a topic
> well enough, please bring it up with me and I'll try to
> add it.  Personally, I think that there are a lot
> of HOWTOs out there that directly overlap with each other.
> I've been maintaining TrinityOS for YEARS but there are
> a LOT of other Security docs that cover the same ground.
> Eh.. I digress.  Ultimately, I would like to avoid this
> duplication and encourage you to write a HOWTO on other
> topics that need it.
>
> Anyway, that's my $0.02.
>
> --David
> |  David A. Ranch - Linux/Networking/PC hardware         ####@####.####  |
> [...]