discuss: Looking for guidance/suggestions for possible large documentation project

Subject: Looking for guidance/suggestions for possible large documentation project
From: Justin Yackoski ####@####.####
Date: 16 Nov 2001 21:43:04 -0000

I'm interested in possibly creating a new howto of significant length
for a possible college senior project.  I am a junior currently, so I
have plenty of time to plan, and I would probably not start any
significant work until at least June or sometimes this summer.  I have a
fair understanding of the Mandrake distro, and have been using it for a
significant part of its existance, and have either tinkered with or
currently use more or less every server or application that I can think
of which doesn't involve the core network stuff (dns, advanced routing,
clustering), although I'm also interested in that.  I've read through
the LDP Authoring Guide and looked at the current howtos/guides,
unmaintained docs, etc., so I have a pretty good idea of what is already
there and what isn't.  I know that as with many distros, Mandrake's
documentation is well, not much to brag about.  I have thought about
doing something detailing every step of the install process from
standard Mandrake CD's, setting up most (or all) common servers,
customizing basically everything someone would normally need to
customize, setting up both servers and clients, etc.  I have not found
anything exactly like this, although I have found some howtos/guides on
some aspects in broader scope or that are similar in some regards.  The
goal of this would be different because I would intend it to primarily
focus on *everything* from putting in the CD's (or connecting to the ftp
server) to fully running servers & workstations.  I am much more
familiar with the quirks of Mandrake than other distros, but would not
*at all* be opposed to later including notes about other distros or
expanding it to cover them.  I of course don't want to duplicate
documentation which already exists, nor do I want to create
documentation for a need which isn't really there.  I would appreciate
any suggestions or guidance as to how to refine this topic or whether it
would be beneficial.

Thanks,
Justin