discuss: new HOWTO

Subject: Re: New HOWTO
From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 4 Nov 2001 22:32:03 -0000

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 06:17:19PM +0000, John Peter Tapsell wrote:

> I've attempted 4 or 5 times now to do a Bind Made Simple Howto.  I
> wanted to make it really simple, and straight forward.

Sounds like a great idea!

> However, I kept running into the trouble that different distros have
> different defaults, have the files in different places, and
> different 'automation' tools.

Yes, this is definitely a problem for writing good documentation. I've
hit this snag, and short of installing various distros so you can see
yourself, it is hard to find a source of just what is different from
one to the other. Especially, filesytem layout, and system utilities.
So the options become to be intentionally vague, or to say something
explicit, and not know how many people this might wind up confusing
the hell out of, since it may or may not be accurate in any given
individual situation. Tough one to overcome...

> I'm considering splitting it up into different files, for different
> distro's.

Consider using the 'entity' statements in the DTD. This way you can
conditionally include/exclude content during the build process. I just
got through doing a doc that has a generic Linux version, and a Redhat
(because I know it!) version, all within one sgml. I just toggle the
entities to build one or the other. Slick.

The way I see it, if one could cover redhat-based, Debian, and SuSE,
that would be 90+% I would think.

--
Hal Burgiss