discuss: new HOWTO

Subject: Re: New HOWTO
From: Randy Kramer ####@####.####
Date: 4 Nov 2001 13:34:29 -0000

Didn't include this the first time, because I didn't (and still haven't)
searched the existing HOWTOS (well, I did once find a RedHat HOWTO that
I couldn't handle -- maybe I could now with a little more experience),
but:

It would be nice to have a simplified HOWTO that explained how to set up
the combination of fetchmail, postfix (my preference to sendmail as I
understand it's easier), procmail, and pop, imap, and sntp servers (if
necessary) to set up a mail server that will:

1. Fetch mail from an ISP's server to a Linux server on a local LAN
2. Distribute that mail to different mailboxes for different users (also
allow filtering, especially for users on the local server, or to
eliminate spam, or to distribute mail addressed to one email address to
separate users based on some criteria)
3. Allow users on other computers (usually Windows) to access their mail
on the LAN server using POP or IMAP (their option)
4. Accept mail from the local users (Windows clients) on the LAN server
(using SMTP?)
5. Distribute local mail on the LAN server (like 2, above)
6. Send non-local mail back to the ISP for "transport"

Just thought I'd mention it ;-) -- Michael, don't delay your HOWTO to
deal with this -- I know you might not be willing (or have the time) to
tackle this -- perhaps someone else?

Randy Kramer