discuss: Proposing some new HOWTOs

Subject: Re: Proposing some new HOWTOs
From: Stein Gjoen ####@####.####
Date: 7 Oct 2001 21:33:10 -0000

Nik Clayton wrote:

> Would the LDP be interested in assisting on a pan-Unix documentation
> effort?  While there are certainly documents that are specific to an OS
> (tuning, kernel configuration, that sort of thing) there are many that
> aren't, or that have only a few sections that are OS specific.

Direct liasons to authors might be a faster, more efficient route
to success and one I personally favour. It also avoids excessive
politicking.

In fact I already write my HOWTOs in this spirit, particularly the
Multi Disk HOWTO is very general and states so in the abstract. Not
only do I try to cater to BSD- and Solaris-variants and other UNIXes
but I even have notes for DOS and OS/2.

Unfortunately I have not had a look at any BSD documentation sites,
which ones are there out there? My immediate suggestion would be
to add a link to LinuxDoc.org, perhaps highlighting those HOWTOs
that are most relevant. I for one have already received inputs from
BSD users and welcome more.

Regards,
    Stein Gjoen