discuss: Securing and Optimizing Linux

Subject: Re: Securing and Optimizing Linux
From: Sandy Harris ####@####.####
Date: 5 Oct 2001 20:38:58 -0000

Poet/Joshua Drake wrote:

> Here is the deal. We have a title in our repository, Securing and
> Optimizing Linux: Red Hat edition. This title co-copyrighted by OpenDocs
> and the author.
>
> The author has decided that the second edition is to be completely closed
> source. It is not even electronically distributable.
>
> I would like to make a proposal. If I can get 4-5 authors that can
> dedicate some serious time to the new edition of this book. I will make
> the book OPL without the options. E.g.; it will be a "free" book.

I can see wanting to write an alternative book, or to rewrite something
with a open license, but "a new edition of this book" makes no sense at
all to me.

If you want to contribute to Linux security docs, look at Kurt Seifried's
Linux Administrator's Security Guide which IMHO is a better book anyway,
and has a reasonable license. The version on the LDP site is over a year
old. Perhaps Kurt has something newer and/or could use help on an update.

There's also some good stuff from Dave Ranch, both on his site:
http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/TrinityOS/cHTML/TrinityOS-c.html
and the book he wrote for SANS:
http://www.sansstore.org/
I don't think the SANS book could be distributed via LDP, but perhaps
the TrinityOS paper could. Worth asking, and we should link to these
whatever the answer.

All my FreeS/WAN docs (www.freeswan.org/doc.html) are GPL and there are
likely things there you could use. I cannot "dedicate some serious time"
to your effort, but could likely help out in small ways.