discuss: Proposed System Documentation Mini-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Proposed System Documentation Mini-HOWTO
From: Shuvam ####@####.####
Date: 3 Oct 2001 07:31:32 -0000

> Sort of, but I'd include more than that.  I was thinking along the lines of
> network config (hostname, aliases, IP, gateway), hardware manufacturer serial
> number & model number, OS version, kernel version, list of running services,
> disk configurations, etc.
>
> My mini-HOWTO would focus on what information to collect and a scheme for
> storing/accessing the information, as well as tracking who made changes.

Seems like an excellent idea. You should also suggest that this be
captured in a machine-processable format like XML, so that this doc
format can then be the inspiration for a whole set of tools for
processing the information, reporting it, reconfiguring a system
automatically to conform to the parameters specified in this
information, and so on.

Shuvam