discuss: Proposed System Documentation Mini-HOWTO

Subject: Re: Proposed System Documentation Mini-HOWTO
From: ####@####.####
Date: 1 Oct 2001 19:02:15 -0000

Yup. I think that would be very useful. Atleast for the stuff I do. Also I
was wondering if you could include a small section on patching up Linux and
a section on securing the box by turning of un-needed services. This could
just be a checklist. I know there is a whole GUIDE on securing linux @
http://www.ldp.org, but a checklist would be very handy.

Saqib Ali

"F. William Lynch" ####@####.#### on 10/01/2001 10:01:49 AM

To:   ####@####.####
cc:   ####@####.####

Sort of, but I'd include more than that.  I was thinking along the lines of
network config (hostname, aliases, IP, gateway), hardware manufacturer
serial
number & model number, OS version, kernel version, list of running
services,
disk configurations, etc.

My mini-HOWTO would focus on what information to collect and a scheme for
storing/accessing the information, as well as tracking who made changes.

Thanks,
-FWL

On Monday 01 October 2001 13:53 pm, you wrote:
> William,
>
> I am not sure if I get this right. Are you talking about Documentation
that
> should be completed when bringing up a new Linux System on the network?
If
> this is the case then the HOWTO will certainly be helpful.  Can you
please
> elaborate on this?
>
> Thanks
> Saqib Ali
>

> "F. William Lynch" ####@####.#### on 10/01/2001 08:46:31 AM

> cc:
>
> Subject:  Proposed System Documentation Mini-HOWTO
>

> Hello,
> I believe a good idea for a mini-HOWTO would discuss System
Documentation,