discuss: Proposing some new HOWTOs

Subject: Re: Proposing some new HOWTOs
From: Nicolas Chauvat ####@####.####
Date: 27 Sep 2001 18:02:02 -0000

> I for one think this has to happen if we want a really quality
> experience for users.

We (as a bunch of french-speaking geeks pursuing the effort of translating
open-source documentation to french, that includes LDP, python, perl, RFC,
GNU, etc. see www.traduc.org for details... in french) have been thinking
about standardizing on tools and formats for a couple months now.

Hence I'd vote +1 on this :-)

The way-of-doing-things I(1) have been advocating so far is to settle on
DocBook XML 4.1.2 and try to develop a common set of tools that manipulate
and transform that XML. This way, people will have some freedom about the
tools they use, but we won't get into the trouble of always converting
from one format to the other.

http://www.logilab.org/xmldiff/ is supposed to be a step in this
direction. It's a program that lets you diff two XML files. The plan is to
use it to quickly figure out what are the differences between two
revisions of the same document and ease the job of the translator that has
to update a former version.

What do you guys think about this approach ? What other tools would we
want to use ? What are the actions we want to apply to those docs ? David
has been talking about indexing, searching and rendering, I guess I'm
coming from another end : as translators, we need to trace the history of
the doc, merge different language versions, etc...

1: that's MHO, other people from the group had interesting and different
ones. I'm supposed to put up on the web a summary of the discussions wa
had, but haven't got enough time to do it yet.

--
Nicolas Chauvat

http://www.logilab.com - "Mais où est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris (France)