discuss: Joining pan-Unix

Subject: Joining pan-Unix
From: Poet/Joshua Drake ####@####.####
Date: 27 Sep 2001 03:09:20 -0000

Hello,

I have been quiet about this because I wanted to give it some serious
thought. That said, I don't think we should join pan-UNIX.

This is nothing against them, I am sure they are a fine org, with fine
people working on their project. There are a couple of points that I see
that make it unreasonable for the LDP to "join" pan-UNIX:

1. Linux is NOT UNIX (don't kid yourself)

2. We are an established, successful project (if it ain't broke, don't fix
it)

3. We will loose our individuality. We will no longer be a "Linux"
project

4. The LDP already is already driving forward with future plans. I think
it would be silly to drop all of those.

Now, there is some overlap in their documentation versus our
documentation. If individual others want to join their project and work on
the LDP and pan-UNIX. Let them, sounds good. In fact I think both projects
would benefit from something like this.

Beyond a general working relationship, I don't like the idea of joining
any other project. In fact, things like the GDP and the KDP should be
joining us.

<COMPANY>CommandPrompt	- http://www.commandprompt.com	</COMPANY>
<PROJECT>OpenDocs, LLC.	- http://www.opendocs.org	</PROJECT>
<PROJECT>LinuxPorts 	- http://www.linuxports.com     </PROJECT>
<WEBMASTER>LDP		- http://www.linuxdoc.org	</WEBMASTER>
--
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.