discuss: New maintainer having trouble getting set up

Subject: Re: New maintainer having trouble getting set up
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 19 Sep 2001 11:34:52 -0000

On Sep 18,  9:44pm, David Merrill wrote:
> Subject: Re: New maintainer having trouble getting set up
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 05:02:52PM -0700, Rick Lindsley wrote:
> > 1) Can anybody help me get set up so that I can edit this document?
What
> >    rpms, tar files, or distributions do I need? I have installed
> >
> >    db164.zip
> >    docbk41.zip
> >    jade-1.2.1.tar.gz
>
> If you want you can send your .sgml file as a mime attachment to
> ####@####.#### and my machine will do the processing for you.
> Spare yourself all that work getting the environment set up.
> See http://www.lupercalia.net/dp.html

...and/or do what Hal Burgiss suggested and go with the RH packages.

> > 2) Is anybody maintaining the Author's Guide? If I'm having these
> >    problems, then it probably needs updating. Certainly the CVS
> >    mechanism doesn't work as advertised.
>
> Yes. We have had ongoing problems with cvs which are usually dns
> related. Can the responsible parties please take a look and see what
> is going on this time? And maybe fix it for good finally?

Our main CVS person is on a multi-week vacation. I'm sure he will
attend to your request when he gets back (sorry, but that's the
nature of a *volunteer* organization!).

> > 3) Should I bother obtaining CVS access or just emailing in updates?
>
> That's entirely up to you.

As David says, it';s up to you. You can package up your document and
send to ####@####.#### (prefer - gzip'ed tar file with SGML
source and graphics - png/jpeg/gif OR gzip'ed SGML source if you do
not have any graphics). I will check the files in for you, as
part of the publishing process when the doc is submitted.

If you go the CVS route, and check the files in yourself, you
still need to send a msg to ####@####.#### when your
document is ready to be published. This allows you to use the
CVS repository for intermediate changes without the "fear" of
having the document published before it's ready.

--
Ferg