discuss: The proposed Perl-related HOWTOs

Subject: Re: The proposed Perl-related HOWTOs
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 18 Sep 2001 14:42:17 -0000

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 10:52:08AM +0530, Shuvam wrote:
> > > The Perl section covers ground that is familiar to anyone who has read
> > > the two standard texts by Larry Wall et. al. The only claim to fame is
> > > that we do it in less pages, and throw in some of our words of caution
> > > about coding guidelines and other issues.
> >
> > If you've omitted the corny jokes, that alone would be an improvement.
> > :-P
>
> Hey, come on. :) I've been brought up in a diet of the peculiar, twisted
> Unix-Internet sense of humour of the late eighties and early nineties,
> before the Internet "opened up." I love to believe that Phil Greenspun's
> opinionated "Guide to Web publishing" or Larry Wall's weirdness
> characterises the sane humour of us all. :)

> > > Any comments? What do you think?
> >
> > Yes, absolutely we'll publish them. Our programming section is now
> > getting to be pretty comprehensive but we lack a good perl book.
> > Two questions: is it under a free license, and is it in DocBook?
>
> About the licence: we will be willing to make it available under the
> usual licence terms which the LDP uses. We are only interested in
> ensuring that (i) the reader knows that it was written by us, and (ii)
> no intermediary can (legally) pull out excerpts to misrepresent us or
> republish it without acknowledging us. So I don't think it should be a
> problem.

I like the GFDL, but the primary consideration is that it can be
modified by others.

> And about the format, we'll convert it to DocBook. It's LaTeX currently.
> It will also need to be proofread carefully for grammatical mistakes as
> well as formatting typos. So we'll put it through a round of polishing
> up, work on the examples a bit, and so on. Since we're also learning
> from LDP about DocBook for our other LDP contribution, the Usenet News
> HOWTO, and one of my colleagues is already in the process of installing
> DocBook and XML DTDs on all office desktops for our use, we will be in
> a position to convert the text to DocBook before we submit it to you.

If you mail to the ldp review list at ####@####.####
we'll try to get an editor to look at it.

Let us know if you need help with DocBook. There's a lot of DocBook
experience on this list.

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####