discuss: The proposed Perl-related HOWTOs

Subject: The proposed Perl-related HOWTOs
From: Shuvam ####@####.####
Date: 18 Sep 2001 06:31:18 -0000

> > The Perl section covers ground that is familiar to anyone who has read
> > the two standard texts by Larry Wall et. al. The only claim to fame is
> > that we do it in less pages, and throw in some of our words of caution
> > about coding guidelines and other issues.
>
> If you've omitted the corny jokes, that alone would be an improvement.
> :-P

Hey, come on. :) I've been brought up in a diet of the peculiar, twisted
Unix-Internet sense of humour of the late eighties and early nineties,
before the Internet "opened up." I love to believe that Phil Greenspun's
opinionated "Guide to Web publishing" or Larry Wall's weirdness
characterises the sane humour of us all. :)

> > Any comments? What do you think?
>
> Yes, absolutely we'll publish them. Our programming section is now
> getting to be pretty comprehensive but we lack a good perl book.
> Two questions: is it under a free license, and is it in DocBook?

About the licence: we will be willing to make it available under the
usual licence terms which the LDP uses. We are only interested in
ensuring that (i) the reader knows that it was written by us, and (ii)
no intermediary can (legally) pull out excerpts to misrepresent us or
republish it without acknowledging us. So I don't think it should be a
problem.

And about the format, we'll convert it to DocBook. It's LaTeX currently.
It will also need to be proofread carefully for grammatical mistakes as
well as formatting typos. So we'll put it through a round of polishing
up, work on the examples a bit, and so on. Since we're also learning
from LDP about DocBook for our other LDP contribution, the Usenet News
HOWTO, and one of my colleagues is already in the process of installing
DocBook and XML DTDs on all office desktops for our use, we will be in
a position to convert the text to DocBook before we submit it to you.

Shuvam