discuss: Proposing some new HOWTOs

Subject: Re: Proposing some new HOWTOs
From: Randy Kramer ####@####.####
Date: 17 Sep 2001 16:23:40 -0000

Shuvam wrote:
> I know about the LDP Guides, but do you think we could still make our
> content into HOWTOs? We don't even mind publishing the matter as both
> two HOWTOs and one Guide, if that's okay. Basically we feel that we'll
> reach a wider audience if this stuff is in the HOWTO list rather than as
> Guides.
>
> In fact, we were just discussing the issue, and it may be possible for
> us to even break up our matter into more than two HOWTOs. We can have
> the following HOWTOs:
>
> 1.  Basic Perl programming HOWTO
> 2.  Basic CGI programming in Perl HOWTO (no DBI)
> 3.  Advanced Web programming in Perl HOWTO (mod_perl, DBI, Date::Manip)
> 4.  Writing large Perl Web apps HOWTO (our own tools, modules, wrappers)
>
> That way, we can either make it one large book which is a successor to
> Shishir Gundavaram's original text, or we can make it a set of HOWTOs
> for Perl and Web app development, or _both_ :). Whatever you guys feel
> makes more sense is fine with us.
>
> What do you think?

As a potential reader, I like the idea of the four HOWTOs.  It sounds
like they would be shorter (easier to digest), and more focused.  A
reader like me could pick the ones I think I need, instead of browsing
through the guide and trying to recognize which chapters or parts of
chapters I want to focus on.

And, if I start with a HOWTO that seems to advanced, I can always "drop
down" to a simpler HOWTO.

TFTOTEMO! (Thanks for this opportunity to express my opinion ;-)
Randy Kramer