discuss: Proposing some new HOWTOs

Subject: Re: Proposing some new HOWTOs
From: Shuvam ####@####.####
Date: 17 Sep 2001 16:00:51 -0000

> > Okay, here goes.
> >
> > We have a "book" which teaches Perl and writing CGI programs in Perl.
> > The background is to teach our company's young programmers how to get up
> > and running in writing real-world business applications in Perl, CGI,
> > and DBI rapidly.
> >
> > 				[...]
> >
> > Any comments? What do you think?
>
> Sounds great! Given the depth/breadth of the content you described,
> you might want to consider simply submitting it as one full "book" (or
> as we call them "guides"). This might be better than breaking it up
> into sep. HOWTOs.

Thanks for the encouraging words. (We were mentally bracing ourselves
for reactions like "Oh, but everyone knows Perl, it's so boring...!" :)

I know about the LDP Guides, but do you think we could still make our
content into HOWTOs? We don't even mind publishing the matter as both
two HOWTOs and one Guide, if that's okay. Basically we feel that we'll
reach a wider audience if this stuff is in the HOWTO list rather than as
Guides.

In fact, we were just discussing the issue, and it may be possible for
us to even break up our matter into more than two HOWTOs. We can have
the following HOWTOs:

1.  Basic Perl programming HOWTO
2.  Basic CGI programming in Perl HOWTO (no DBI)
3.  Advanced Web programming in Perl HOWTO (mod_perl, DBI, Date::Manip)
4.  Writing large Perl Web apps HOWTO (our own tools, modules, wrappers)

That way, we can either make it one large book which is a successor to
Shishir Gundavaram's original text, or we can make it a set of HOWTOs
for Perl and Web app development, or _both_ :). Whatever you guys feel
makes more sense is fine with us.

What do you think?

regards,
Shuvam