discuss: Proposing some new HOWTOs

Subject: Re: Proposing some new HOWTOs
From: Shuvam ####@####.####
Date: 17 Sep 2001 13:00:40 -0000

> This list is it. Post your ideas/concepts to this list so that it might
> be discussed. If you have a draft available, provide a pointer. We
> will let you know what the next steps are.

Okay, here goes.

We have a "book" which teaches Perl and writing CGI programs in Perl.
The background is to teach our company's young programmers how to get up
and running in writing real-world business applications in Perl, CGI,
and DBI rapidly.

The Perl section covers ground that is familiar to anyone who has read
the two standard texts by Larry Wall et. al. The only claim to fame is
that we do it in less pages, and throw in some of our words of caution
about coding guidelines and other issues.

The second section is about CGI programming in Perl. There's this
excellent O'Reilly book by Shishir Gundavaram et. al., which covers CGI
programming in great detail. However, that book teaches a _lot_ about
CGI, how it works, and so on, before reaching what we would call
practical, real-world CGI app development. We start straightaway with
real-world CGI programming, using the CGI_Lite module of Perl. We also
throw in the Date::Manip Perl module for date manipulation, the DBI
module for database manipulation, and rapidly take the reader to the
point where he can see a complete example for maintaining a master table
in a database with viewing, adding, editing, and deleting of records.

We feel that these two sections could form two HOWTOs. We would like to
see these documents reach a much wider audience than our internal
engineering team. We will be happy to continue maintaining them, of
course.

Any comments? What do you think?

regards,
Shuvam