discuss: The various tools available

Subject: Re: The various tools available
From: Jorge Godoy ####@####.####
Date: 10 Sep 2001 20:17:57 -0000

jdd ####@####.#### writes:

>> > 5.  docbook2xxxx - something from suse?
>>
>> Not from SuSE.
>
> I think it's from caldera

There's a guy from Caldera (I'm not sure if he's still there) actively
working with it, but the project leader is not from Caldera.

>> These are tools developed in some phases of processing
>> utilities. Don't bother with whom coded them (Caldera, RH, SuSE,
>> Conectiva, Debian and other were involved) but in how recent they
>> are.
>
> not so, when a ditrib man works on a product, one can be sure it works on
> it's distro. docbook don't seems to be really standard.

It works with the above distributions, since the docbook-utils is LSB
compliant (in fact, it's the tool we've developed after standardizing
several things for the LSB).

> for my configuration db2 is the only really good product, but this may not be
> right for others

Still, docbook-utils is a full implementation of the LSB
recommendations and was developed with compliance on several systems
on mind.

It works with many distributions (Conectiva, Debian, Caldera, SuSE,
RH, etc.) and produces a nice output.

I'm not a fan of them, but I think that recommending their use is the
best way.

I don't think that this is subject to this list. We could discuss in
PVT and post a summary of this to the list after we get somewhere :-)

--

Solutions Developer       - Conectiva Inc. - http://en.conectiva.com
Desenvolvedor de Soluções - Conectiva S.A. - http://www.conectiva.com.br