discuss: Guides page

Subject: Re: Guides page
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 16 Feb 2001 20:14:55 -0000

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 10:22:08AM -0600, Joy E Yokley wrote:
> Joining in on the discussion of the shorter "quick reference" docs, I think
> that these may deserve a place of their own. Although only two docs have
> been identified at this time, this type of documentation may grow as the
> number of users who are new to Linux grows. For example, this may be a
> great place for documentation that appeals to users who have a less
> technical background.

So far, these quick references are more oriented to folks who know the
subject matter and just want a reminder of options and that sort of
thing. They're for intermediate to advanced users primarily.

> The definition of a Quick Reference doc:  a quick, general topic, reference
> material geared towards a less technical audience.
> Both of the documents you mentioned below would fit into this category.
>    http://www.powerup.com.au/~squadron/ --was the only one page manual I
>    could find that the LDP referenced.

I wrote to the author and hope to get that one page manual in the LDP.
I use it and like it a lot.

>    The "Linux Security Quick Reference Guide"
>
> Aditionally, this type of documentation is an excellent handout at the LDP
> booth (much like the "Linux Security Quick Reference Guide" popularity at
> this year's NY LWE booth.)

Absolutely.

I agree with you that it would be a good idea to move these into a
"quick reference" area. Not right now, but down the road sometime.
Maybe that will prompt more people to produce documents in this
format. I sure like them, and I bet other people will, too.

Both of these docs are in PDF format. usually I don't much like PDF,
but it is great for the exact formatting these docs require.

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####
                                       Finger me for my public key

panic("Tell me what a watchpoint trap is, and I'll then
deal with such a beast...");
	2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/arch/arch/sparc/kernel/traps.c