discuss: Guides page

Subject: Re: Guides page
From: "Greg Ferguson" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Feb 2001 14:46:36 -0000

On Feb 16,  7:55am, David Merrill wrote:
> Subject: Re: Guides page
> > > [...]
> > > The RUTE Users Tutorial and Exposition v0.3 Last update March 2000
> > > is on http://rute.sourceforge.net at version 0.8.5 and available
> > > in many formats(html, pdf, ps)
> [...]
> This document isn't free even by the most generous standards. Take a
> look at the license. I'm not following up on this; I'd rather see the
> document pulled from the LDP. The license is just too restrictive for
> me. For example, it would be a violation if I were to print a copy for
> my mom - only the intended reader can initiate a hard copy. It cannot
> be distributed publicly, so we couldn't give it out at LWE or another
> conference.

I agree. I believe the author was intending to remove the restrictions
once the document was completed. It seems like the license has moved
in the other direction. I have removed the document from the LDP.
It does not belong when it contains such license restrictions.

I had not heard from the author in quite some time.

---

On the subject of the "Linux Security Quick Reference Guide"...
I changed the name to reflect the type of document: "Linux Security
Quick Reference Card". Should it still move elsewhere? I think
the guides area has become somewhat of a collect-all for those items
that do not fit elsewhere (not a HOWTO/FAQ).

I suppose we could add an extra area on the docs.html page for
these types of documents, but I think it might make them harder
to locate.

r,
Ferg