discuss: XML template

Subject: Re: XML template
From: Hal Burgiss ####@####.####
Date: 29 Aug 2001 23:28:02 -0000

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 07:04:04PM -0400, David Merrill wrote:

> > It looks strikingly like Docbook/SGML. What does XML bring to the
> > table that maybe I am missing out on?
>
> Nothing, in terms of the DTD. Everything, in terms of the tools that
> are/will be available to work with it. ;-)

Any hints? I am ignorant, completely.

Here's what I want in document processing. Maybe I am missing it, and
it is right under my nose. Real world example....I am still pounding
on this Security-Quickstart HOWTO, and run afoul of the distro
differences in commands and utilities for system configuration. A
shame really. The best I can do is RTFM on how your vendor expects you
do this (in some cases), eg how to stop a service.

Now I get a brainstorm that since I know Redhat pretty well, and Redhat
based distros probably have a big chunk of the market, then to do a
related doc called Security-Quickstart-Redhat, or whatever with some
real step-by-step at each stage. The changes would be overall pretty
minor. But now this is two docs, that have much duplication. How can I
do conditional inclusion/exclusion?

#ifdefine $redhat
 <text>
#else
 <other text>
#endif

Maybe the concept could be expanded, and someone could contribute
Debian, Slack, etc so only minor mods need to be done. So one master
doc that gets built as possibly more than one variation. If this is
possible with any supported tools, a URL will be fine. I did poke
around linuxdoc.org, but didn't hit anything that looked relevant.

--
Hal B