discuss: Open Source Writers Group (OSWG) dead?

Subject: Re: Open Source Writers Group (OSWG) dead?
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 28 Aug 2001 01:40:33 -0000

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 11:57:55AM -0400, Paul Jones wrote:
> for what it's worth, we, ibiblio or metalab or sunsite, offered to mirror
> or co-host or otherwise cooperate with the OSWG from the beginning and
> there was not much effort (read one complete mirror only) on their part
> (actually her part as Deb Richardson did everything but write the docs) to
> make this happen. Donnie Barnes was also trying to mirror or co-host but i
> don't know if that went anywhere either. i don't want to spend too much
> time commenting on OSWG but the lesson in both cases seems to be that you
> need several folks involved on an ongoing basis.
>
> about sourceforge, they are a fine group and we, ibiblio again, work with
> them very well (we even host a complete sourceforge ftp mirror). but
> frankly i think we offer the LDP much more than sourceforge can provide.
> if you even want to run the public sourceforge code on our machines we can
> handle that too.
>
> about ibiblio's future, we are funded by the center for the public domain
> for at least 4 to 5 more years and we have a continuous commitment from
> UNC (which as been in business of higher education for over 200 years).
> the ibiblio-metalab-sunsite operation predates the WWW and has been the
> LDP home from the beginning. We hope you'll stay around, but you own the
> domain name (which i see as a good thing) and you can live where you
> wish--altho we like having you here.

We all appreciate ibiblio's long term and ongoing support. It is nice
to be able to say FYIPF (Fuck You, I'm Publicly Funded).

I am open to using any of the services SourceForge provides, if they
would help with the administrative process, but afaics our
infrastructure is as good as what they provide. Unfortunately (for
us), SF is optimized for the software project, not the documentation
project. And what SF would offer to us, we already have working in
house, except for the bugtracking system.

> and we don't allow advertising ;->

A nice plus. :-)

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  http://www.freesklyarov.org
Washington DC Protests http://www.lupercalia.net/dmca

I think Gates still thinks he can treat everyone like shit and he'll get his
way eventually. I think he just got a big surprise.
	--Consumer Project on Technology Director James Love
	  on Microsoft's antitrust trial