discuss: Open Source Writers Group (OSWG) dead?

Subject: Re: Open Source Writers Group (OSWG) dead?
From: Poet/Joshua Drake ####@####.####
Date: 27 Aug 2001 16:12:14 -0000

>One reason for avoiding putting LDP stuff on SourceForge is that VA
>Linux (SourceForge's sponsor) might not be around a couple of years

I doubt sourceforge will ever go anywhere. Even if VA were to go away,
it is too big of a resource. IBM or RedHat or Caldera would pick it up.

>from now.  Their stock is now in the 1's (down from 300+).

Ahhh, the joys of the ignorant investor ;)

> They are
>saying they plan to make money from SourceForge.  I don't see how they
>can do this without degrading it with advertising, etc.

Well, I don't know that adding a little advertising would degrade it, but
my understanding is that they plan to make money from the SourceForge
software. Not SourceForge itself.

In the end, VA is trying to become a software consulting powerhouse. I
doubt they can do this and they will probably be bought. They have a
unique product, but they are still called VA Linux. The Linux will hurt
them in their growth because many traditional shops will be running
Solaris for most development.

This may not be true in two years, but it is still today.

<COMPANY>CommandPrompt	- http://www.commandprompt.com	</COMPANY>
<PROJECT>OpenDocs, LLC.	- http://www.opendocs.org	</PROJECT>
<PROJECT>LinuxPorts 	- http://www.linuxports.com     </PROJECT>
<WEBMASTER>LDP		- http://www.linuxdoc.org	</WEBMASTER>
--
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.