discuss: lyx & docbook

Subject: Re: lyx & docbook
From: jdd ####@####.####
Date: 18 Aug 2001 07:36:26 -0000

Le Samedi 18 Août 2001 00:13, vous avez écrit :

> How far away is it from being usable for LDP Authors?

I think LyX is right now usable to LDP authors. With the help of David
Merrill I could fix the two problems that seems to comes from LyX - the
others problems come probably from my own install and I will address them in
an other mail.

Lyx is a very valuable product, with a pleasant graphical interface, a very
active developping staff and a very stable status (now V 1.1.6fix3). At
www.lyx.org it can be donwloaded easily (only 5Mb).

Was it difficult  to get working?

Docbook and SuSE (here 7.2) has always be a difficult story, I don't know
why.

As for LyX there are only (on my document !) only 3 problems easy to solve:

* LyX don't (yet?) accept imbedded tags, fe author can't include surname
(although all the necessary tags are present in the scrolling menu). I fixed
this using "author" and inserting <firstname> and the like as "TeX" (redbox).
It's enough to write the tag, select it and hit the "TeX" icon. Acceptable at
this place.

* With my original Linuxdoc document I had a Table Of Content. The TOC tag is
not removed when switching to docbook. It's enough to delete the tag in LyX

* the default quotes (french flavor) is not correctly translated and gives
"?", one must use an other simpler kind of quotes in the document layout menu.

with this, my sgml doc passes the david merril processor.

Would you recommend it to others?

I strongly advocate LyX. LyX is a kind of graphical interface to TeX (when it
don't write docbook), it allows very long, complex and structured document
(still not having all the features of TeX) and still keep easy for anybody

Have you sent a bug report to the developers?
I can't follow the LyX development, it's too fast ! I make the lys-devel list
cc

jdd

--
<http://www.dodin.net> ####@####.####