discuss: statistics

Subject: Re: statistics
From: David Merrill ####@####.####
Date: 8 Aug 2001 15:45:07 -0000

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 09:18:24PM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:
> If you submit a doc in English to the LDP, it's likely assumed that
> the copyright (but not the license) is to be governed under US laws.
> But US laws do not generally extend outside of the US.  This defect is
> corrected by the Berne Convention.  It says that all countries which
> have signed the Berne Convention will treat the work as if it had been
> copyrighted in that country.  (It's not said exactly this way though.)
> So it makes little difference in which country one copyrights a work.
> The copyright laws of every different country will apply to it within
> that country.

Yes, that is my understanding also.

What we really need to do is make sure every document is clearly
redistributable at an absolute minimum. Then we don't have to worry
about the intricacies of international copyright law.

Linux Documentation Project                   ####@####.####

Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  http://www.freesklyarov.org
Washington DC Protests http://www.lupercalia.net/dmca

Asked how small software companies could compete on products that Microsoft
wants to fold into Windows, [Microsoft COO Bob] Herbold told Bloomberg News
they could either fight a losing battle, sell out to Microsoft or a larger
company or 'not go into business to begin with.'
	--Newsweek, March 1998