discuss: statistics

Subject: Re: statistics
From: Jorge Godoy ####@####.####
Date: 7 Aug 2001 03:27:50 -0000

David Merrill ####@####.#### writes:

> On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 11:17:19PM -0300, Jorge Godoy wrote:
>> David Merrill ####@####.#### writes:
>>

>> > The LDP's webservers are in the US, however.
>>
>> I'm not a US citizen. I'm not living under US laws. I don't know a lot
>> of US laws. In my country, this law might be different with regards to
>> this kind of thing (it happens to be almost the same, but the context
>> is different). How am I supposed to accept that US copyright laws
>> applies to a document of mine that I've donated to LDP and whose main
>> site ISN'T LDP?
>
> I think this is pretty much universal, but only cited US law because
> that's all I am really familiar with. But I think pretty much
> anywhere, a work is by default copyrighted. Or at least in countries
> covered by the Berne convention.

I haven't thought about the Berne convention as you and Paul
mentioned...

Here in Brazil they are also copyrighted by default and belong to the
author of the document.

If we put a note saying that authors who submit their work without any
notice on copyright will have the document under some specific license
is it OK? (It becomes valid to new documents only, old ones would
require that we contact the authors and ask about changing this)

Something like: "If you don't specify anything, your document will be
automatically put under XYZ license when processed and published at
LDP. Please, if you don't agree with that license, specifies your
document license as required by the license itself."

Am I talking something silly? (I really don't understand what we can
do in this area...)

--

Solutions Developer       - Conectiva Inc. - http://www.conectiva.com
Desenvolvedor de Soluções - Conectiva S.A. - http://www.conectiva.com.br